The more I grow into myself, I see so much of my childhood in my creative process. I was a deeply imaginative, curious child and like some children of immigrant parents, I was often discouraged to explore that side of myself.
I used to imagine myself in magical otherworldly places and I constantly receive compliments that my images feel dreamy.
Thank goodness for this life and grateful for opportunity to heal little me and for the people who see value in the way I see the world.
Wedding season is in full effect and I wanted to share some helpful tips to help you plan your day.
WEDDING ITINERARY TIPS:
• Schedule your makeup and hair to be completed before your photographer arrives so they can capture all the important moments of you with your favourite people. Makeup artists will usually take up space near natural light to do their job well and photographers often will use the same areas for photos.
• Portraits can happen before or after your wedding ceremony. I usually suggest formal portraits (family, wedding party & couple) before ceremonies scheduled in the late afternoon/early evening so that you can enjoy cocktails and mingle with your guests.
• if you’re planning to have getting ready photos, make sure your environment is clean and clutter free in areas with lots of space and natural light. Your photographer will need space to create for you.
• If you can - give yourself extra time in between travelling to different locations/mini events in case things fall behind. This gives yourself and your vendors flexibility to try to get back on schedule.
• Pace yourself and try to keep things simple to avoid early burnout or feeling overwhelmed. Things you could do is have a smaller wedding party (or non at all), start your photography coverage later in the day, have a smaller guest count or hire a wedding planner.
• Manage expectations from family to avoid conflict and disappointment. Provide a photo shot list for group photos to organize and have a trusted friend/family member/wedding planner to rally family members. Don’t forget you’re allowed to set boundaries to stay on track with your schedule. You can always ask your photographer to casually capture others groups of people later during reception.
• Book photo permits well before your wedding day. Don’t wait til last minute, especially during wedding season. If you prefer a more casual approach, discuss options with your photographer or planner.
• PLAN FOR MOMENTS. Your wedding day is not a photoshoot. Enjoy yourself! The most unique and creative photos happen when you organically let yourself be present and give creative freedom to your wedding photographer. 💕💕💕
This year I’ve made more space to fill my cup, and find balance. There was no rhyme or reason to this shoot, we just wanted to play and live in joy. Cheers to friends who bring out the best in each other. ❤️🔥❤️🔥❤️🔥
Thank you for your beautiful energy Dani! I love you so much!
update: Nike has returned to the stars. Thank you to everyone who donated and sent love. It hurts to think I’ll never hear or see you again earth-side but I’m glad you are no longer in pain. Rest peacefully sweet @nikeonile 🕊️🤍
During the pandemic, many of us connected with each other online. I was feeling overwhelmed and trying to figure out how I could continue to work. @nikeonile reached out and we both clicked immediately and she invited me to her home to photograph some headshots. It meant the world to me to create again and we both energetically connected. Besides being a talented interior designer - Her kindness, empathetic nature, sensitivity to beauty continues to inspire so many people.
In recent years, Nike has been battling cancer and unfortunately her cancer has returned and is now affecting multiple organs. I’ve been sending prayers to her and her family during this difficult time.
If you feel inclined to extend kindness, I know it would mean to world to her family and to Nike to show support - whether it means prayer or if you have the capacity to, I’ve included a go fund link hosted by her family in my bio to help alleviate living and care costs as Nike continues to heal and thrive.
We love you @nikeonile and sending you so much love.